SLOW COOKER FIRE ROASTED BRISKET CHILI
- 2 pounds beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chicken stock or your favorite beer
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 14 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock or your favorite beer
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- jalapeno peppers
- chives or scallions
- Prepare the brisket the night before, as it takes about 8 hours to slow cook.
- Stir together the salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika and garlic powder. Sprinkle or rub all over the brisket. Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven (or your slow cooker, if it does it) over medium-high heat. Add the brisket and sear it on both sides until golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Place the brisket in the slow cooker with ½ cup of stock or beer. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, you can shred or chop the brisket. At this point, you can add ALL the other ingredients to the slow cooker. Since I have a slow cooker that also sautes in the crock, I remove the brisket first, then I saute the peppers, onions and garlic until soft.
- Stir in all of the spices, tomatoes, beans and stock or beer. Add your brisket back in (if you removed it). Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 to 4 hours, or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve with sour cream, grated cheddar, chives and scallions. Leftovers freeze well for about 6 months!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!